[Gasification] Naphthalene Condensate Photos, GAST methodology

Doug doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 03:53:59 CDT 2017

Hi Nico and Colleagues,

Thanks for replying as it always helps to see see where knowledge is
coming from, and help explain why gasifiers have failed projects across
their implementation history.At my stage of life, it's about finding the
missing pieces of information, not using copious amounts of data
collected from malfunctioning or poorly design gasifiers, although this
may be important to others.

First up, New Zealand where I live isn't Australia, and you could set
off WW3 mixing up your Geography. Not sure they teach that anymore(:-)

I'm not know for two line replies, so take your time to take in a word
picture.

However you write it, 2 microns  MP2 is the soot particle size in
question, and you consider it to be not filterable from oil, even if
introduced from a gasifier. So what are we talking about, filters for
the oil or filters for the gas?  The physics of gas particle filtration
is clearly laid out in  Perry and Chiltons Chemical Engineers Hand Book,
published by McGraw Hill, and there you will see that , MP2 can be
removed by granular bed filters.

Smaller sub-micron particles need cooling to the point of moisture
fogging or misting, so that it condenses on the particle and it drops
out by precipitation. If we freeze the gas stream to remove all
moisture, then your gas will become dry and clean. Tom T. shows this at
Thermagenics, and as Harrie showed in his photo, Naphthalene can also be
removed. Refrigerated gas cooling still has to be proven for it's use in
the Worlds differing environments, solving specific problems, but not tar.

Oil will protect the engine in normal clean producer gas operation, "IF"
oil moisture levels are minimal, normal combustion temperatures are
maintained, and it stays withing it's viscosity range. That is all most
manufactures require for reliable engine operation. The oil additive
package contains anti oxidants to suppress asphalt and resins from
forming when heated, seen usually on the inside and outside of pistons
walls and ring grooves, as brown or black deposits. This additive also
has a second function of being the extreme high pressure boundary
lubricant, forming an organic metallic skin on the base metal. Unnatural
engine temperatures quickly deplete the boundary lubricant function and
metal to metal contact wrecks the engine. In addition to heat oxidation,
there is also catalytic oxidation caused by trace metals in the oil,
either one is detectable by Blotter Spot testing.

The second additive is the detergent dispersant or alkalinity of the oil
(TBN) which keeps the soot in the oil in suspension, preventing it from
forming larger particles MP15 which drop out as sludge.
If moisture is present in the gas, it rapidly depletes the alkalinity.
Standard engine oil filters in general have a MP10 porosity membrane
mainly for the purpose of trapping abrasives down to MP2 where it no
longer can span the lubrication film. Air filters also reduce
environmental dust and there are many variations to designs. A Blotter
Spot will show detergent activity.

The amount of dust or carbon will eventually thicken the oil viscosity
affecting oil pressure and reduce flows through the filter membrane, so
a by-pass valve opens and unfiltered oil circulates. Moisture in the gas
can quickly reduce the alkalinity and it will also carry sub-micron
carbon soot which will increase the viscosity. The oil companies say you
can thicken oil by 30% before changing, so how can that MP2 or smaller
soot be controlled? Many engine makers install a By-Pass filters that
take a small flow of oil pressure not used by the engine and it passes
through a dense cellulose medium. The cellulose has an affinity for
moisture so the TBN is either slower to decline, or stays within usable
range to prevent acid erosion of the engine metals. These filters
eventually fill and in changing them, you only discard the dirtiest oil
in the engine.  Blotter Spot tests show both thickening density and
moisture, but a Crackle tests will pick up moisture before the blotter
in most cases.

All of the above is as basic as possible in explanation, compressing oil
company oil screen testing procedures for used oil. Fluidyne supplied
By-Pass filters to many truck fleets in New Zealand with support from
Caltex Oil Laboratories, from 1974-1983 when our manufacturing changed
over to Gasifiers.

  I see you recommend a 15 year long life oil for gasified engines.
Before offering such advanced oils for you gasified projects, you should
see how that affects your engine makers warranties for the equipment you
hope to supply.

To discuss engine failures needs supportive information as to how they
failed. The engine maker becomes a victim of bad gas making technology,
much the same as a good specified fuel gasifier making tar with the
wrong fuel. We should start another discussion on gasified  engine
failure, as I have seen a few.

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.