[Gasification] Straw Fueled CHP

Doug doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 15:18:49 CST 2017

Hi Greg,

Tom has covered the issues of straw gasification, and certainly
liquefied ash, and sintered clinker are an issue not easily overcome if
you just want to make gas. The issue always remains in that raw straw
can end up passing through, to then add their condensible volatiles to
the end gas.

You may remember that we cubed flax, straw, and hemp for trials in
Winnipeg using a rather big vertical rotary machine. It was at least a
solution to being able to get the volumes reduced, but for sure
conventional gasifiers of most designs just do not incorporate the
appropriate factors to control the low velocity air and fast moving
fuel. If you hold the fuel it will slag, so to me, the first thing I
would do is:

1. Establish first how thick the bed can be with your cubed fuel on a
horizontal high porosity grate plate (or other).

2. With various flows, I would want to see if I could function with the
thinnest bed possible, allowing for the lowest air velocity, and minimal
ash problems.

3. If you do this in the open air, watch the smoke generation and time
the colour changes, you know it explains the state of pyrolysis.

Downside.

1. Cubing is high energy consumption adding to fuel cost, unless you can
generate power from the gas you make.

2. The output char, if that is the target, will need very careful
airtight storage, plus a way to move it about in considerable volume.
Very hazardous to health.

3. You still have to design on a scale that your fuel test information
will set in "stone".

Hope you keep us informed on your progress as I am sure others will have
more to contribute (as we do!)

Regards,

Doug Williams.

Fluidyne.