[Gasification] Where is Everyone?

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 02:43:43 CST 2017

Hi All,

Happy New Year

There was a NYE turbo woodstove (NT6) a few years ago - but tar gas
byproducts in an automotive turbo was a very tough call.  Biggest problem
is maintaining adequate cooling and lubrication of turbo bearings.

http://www.gas-turbines.com/

>From my experience, you will struggle to get better that 5% wood- in to
electricity output for any amateur built steam plant.  The best I saw was
the White Cliffs Solar Steam Plant - that used a converter HR3 Lister
Diesel as a uniflow engine with a bash valve cylinder - and achieved about
22% efficiency.

http://www.rossen.ch/solar/wcengine.html

IMHO - this is good enough reason to dismiss steam - as not so much a
 viable DIY electric power generation plant - but more of an effective
deforestation aid.  You will burn through 4 x the tonnage of wood than you
need for a gasifier.

Stay Warm

Ken