[Gasification] Getting both heat and char ..... was Re: Where is Everyone?

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:09:15 CST 2017

Dear Doug and Rolf,

I have also read Rolf's description of why he wants the heat.   I
support the concept and will assist as best I can.

My message is mainly to Doug.  I was learning from you, Tom Reed, and
others when I got started in 2001 with gasification, with eventual focus
on what is now TLUD micro-gasification.   So I am still a newcomer and I
appreciate further instruction.

Terminology has always been an issue, and I want to be sure that I am
understanding your message below.  I insert my comments and questions below.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 1/3/2017 6:33 PM, Doug wrote:

> Hi Paul and Rolf,
>
> Pyrolytic  gas can be quite wet so precise temperatures are risky to
> quote.

Yes.  There is no scrubbing or drying or other preparation of the
pyrolytic gas.  In the TLUD world, the gases are usually created in the
500 C to 650 C range.  And the raw biomass fuel might enter with as much
as 15% to 20 % Moisture Content (MC).

If the MC of the raw fuel was lower (such as 5% MC), would that help
raise the temperature?

Hypothetical question:  Part A.   if the pyrolytic gases were cooled to
below 100 C, water could be removed by condensation, and we would have
lots of wood vinegar.   However, there would also be massive amounts of
tars and "gunk" being deposited also.   However, the final,
non-condensed gases just might have the desired temperature when
combusted.   Those gases would be H2, CO, methane-and-related-gases, and
what else?

Part B.  Alternatively, after the removal of the wood vinegar, perhaps
the remaining gases plus the reheated tars, etc. could be reheated to
become a dry, quality gas for higher burning temperatures.   All of this
would be with losses of thermal energy during condensation and then the
need to add thermal energy.  Could this have benefits that could justify
the expense?

> What I can tell you from experience, is that it always burns hotter
> than clean producer gas, upwards of 1,050C,

If that is the maximum, will this be sufficient for Rolf and his friend
to use?    There is no way to turn 1000 C into 1300 C, correct?

But your next words I do not understand.

> a basic tar test for cleaner specification gas, 13-1500C is a rough
> rule of thumb for gas exiting the combustion chamber.

I am not understanding what that means.   The combustion chamber is the
"burner" of the pyrolytic gases?

> It has a very high radiation factor useful for refractory application,
> but the price for this is that you will get a high ash content in the
> kiln and flue dust emissions.

Something in the above sentence is not clear to me.   The "kiln" is part
of the gasifier or is it where the materials are being heated?   And the
pyrolytic gases of TLUDs do not have ash in them.   And I am not
understanding the source of any flue dust emissions.

Are your comments somehow referring to the FULL gasification processes
in downdraft gasifiers (pyrolysis AND char-gasification are both occuring)?

> The actual combustion is complex, but achievable in a non regulated
> situation, emissions being the issue, both dust and toxic gas CO,CH4,
> and Dioxins. Combustion of these gases have been our focus for some
> 6-7 years, and current work at CalForest in California, is to use this
> gas to dry the incoming fuel to the charmaker.

The above sentences seem to indicate that your explanation is about FULL
gasification and not about only the pyrolysis process with resultant
charcoal creation.

As I said, I am still learning.  Looking forward to your reply. Others
should feel free to add comments.

Paul