[Greenbuilding] finding coils inside (new) chest freezer

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 10:56:15 CST 2010

Thanks, Doug. Most helpful (and so frustrating).
What is with these losers? Why can't they offer models with serious
insulation? Sundanzer does, but they're for DC applications and cost a
fortune (~3x what the ES models do). $800 premium for 100kWh less/year is
steep, even for this energy geek. For $1,200 I figure I could probably
figure out how to build one from scratch. Designing and manufacturing a
chest freezer to have 4 inch thick walls and door can't cost but a few
dollars more than what we have now. Whichever company did this could top all
the Energy Star charts and reap the associated benefits. If they charged $75
more than the competition, so be it. I would be surprised if that didn't
work out for the bean counters too.

To the specifics: if as you say there is no slack in the refrigeration
lines, then tearing into the walls is not going to be very satisfactory. And
I'd already thought about the risk of severing a line.... Someone on another
list has suggested buying a bigger model and putting insulation on the
inside, taking care to accommodate the drain and condenser. I'm now
wondering if I couldn't hit up WC Woods, Haier, and Frigidaire for some
diagrams and if by chance one of them doesn't have the coils spread across
so many walls start with that and perhaps mix and match insulation panels on
outside and inside...

Once upon a time you could rent space in a freezer locker... I wonder if
we'll get back to that one of these days?

Reuben Deumling