[Greenbuilding] finding coils inside (new) chest freezer

Anne Judge anne.judge at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 6 11:06:21 CST 2010

On Dec 6, 2010, at 8:44 AM, Lynelle Hamilton wrote:

> If I were in an urban area and could walk to places for food (community garden as well as stores), I'd likely not have a freezer, or get by with a small one in a fridge.

I do live in an urban area - a nice old-fashioned dense one - and I have a full (small) chest freezer because I get my meat from a CSA.  It comes once a month, all frozen, and on top of that I fall behind in using it up, so I have a bunch in my freezer now.  So even here there are reasons for the freezer - buying this sort of meat by the cut would cost FAR more than the cost of the energy I'm using (even if it would be greener to pay the money & not use the electricity).

(I used to share my share, as 5 lb/mo was plenty for my husband and myself - we choose to eat meat, in very small quantities - but now we have a teenaged boy living with us, and not the enlightened, socially-conscious kind, but the Grand Theft Auto-playing, "ooh, turkeys, can we shoot them?," ATV-riding kind.  Not that he can do any of those things since he came to live with us [except persistently ask if he can shoot the turkeys that wander through my dad's yard], but I think I'd have a mutiny if I tried to feed him the way I had been feeding our 50ish-yo selves before he came.)

Anne