[Greenbuilding] finding coils inside (new) chest freezer

Speireag Alden speireag at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 11:23:07 CST 2010

Reuben Deumling wrote:

> For $1,200 I figure I could probably figure out how to build one from scratch.

	Here's one way to go about it:  sever your cold generation problem from your insulation problem.  Laren Corie has proposed this method.

	Make a freezer, as large as you like.  Equip it with racks for frozen 2-liter bottles, which last a very long time.  Fill them with brine.  (High-saline water.)  That will put the thermal plateau at the ice's melting point below freezing for non-briny objects.

	In the winter, when the bottles thaw, stick them outside where they can freeze and then bring them back in the next day.

	In the summer, when the bottles thaw, stick them in your fridge freezer.

	Rotate as needed.

	Of course, as others have noted, if your freezer is in conditioned space, then operation during the heating season is free, or close to it, because the waste heat contributes to the house heat.  So the real trick is to build the freezer big enough that you can store a LOT of bottles of brine, and then freeze them during the winter, and when you start opening the house windows in the spring, bring them all inside into the freezer to keep it cold.  Make it big enough and you can keep things cold until it's freezing outside again.

	Good option for the corner of an unfinished, uninsulated basement.

	It does require a bit of attention, or a reliable remote temperature alarm.

-Speireag.

--
Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.
--Henry David Thoreau