[Greenbuilding] finding coils inside (new) chest freezer

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 10:51:54 CST 2010

First off, glad to hear from you again Speireag.

My favorite approach to this problem that resembles your/Laren's suggestion
is found here:
http://fourmileisland.com/IceBox.htm

I like what you suggest, but there are a few parameters that make it
difficult for me to try/succeed with this.
(1) space
(2) climate
(3) the rotate 2 liter bottles through our micro-freezer section in the
kitchen-fridge idea and attendant logistics

(1) We live on a rather small lot in what is considered by most to be a
rather small house. My sundry interests have occupied most of the available
space both inside and out. If I really wanted/believed in the necessity of a
freezer I'd probably be more motivated to find enough space to try to
realize the DIY version.

(2) As Mr. Fond-Of-Bright-Fonts at the link above notes, exploiting the
winter for food preservation isn't what it used to be. And here in the
temperate Willamette Valley in the Pacific Northwest our winters aren't
anywhere near cold enough to be that helpful if we're trying to freeze
brine. No ice to be cut from lakes here.

(3) While chilling the bottles of brine would almost certainly end up
requiring fewer kWh per year or season than a separate standalone chest
freezer plugged into the grid, the logistics seem a little daunting. I guess
what I'm not clear on is how frequently one would expect to be swapping
these out (in pairs?) I'm sure someone could come up with a model based on
insulation levels, volume to be kept freezer-cold, ambient temps, etc. But
my suspicion is that the other adult who already isn't that fond of the
habit-infringing nature of pilot light heated water would be less than
thrilled with the logistics of this kind of freezer.

But given where we're headed, this approach may soon seem a lot less crazy.