[Greenbuilding] Stale Air

jfstraube jfstraube at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 09:18:52 CST 2010

Hi John.
I hope you mean CO2. CO levels of 1500 ppm would kill students in about 2 hours :)

ASHRAE Standard 62 requires 10 cfm/student +0.12 cfm/sf, which works out to about 15 cfm per student 25 students in a 1000 sf classroom which works out to around 1100 ppm CO2.   Many jurisdictions ventilate even more, like 20 cfm
Ventilating only for people, not buildings, at 10 cfm/person gets just below the 1500 ppm CO2 number that you report the UK requires.

Ventilation is a seperate function from air conditioning, and mechanical AC is easy to avoid in most parts of the UK and Canada.  Natural ventilation to meet the requirements are very difficult, because the forces driving ventilation (wind and stack effect) are highly variable.  To be safe, designers just massively over ventilate to ensure that in non-windy hours of modest outdoor temperature enough ventilation occurs.  As a consequence naturally ventilated buildings usually consume significantly more energy for heating than well-designed mechanically ventilated buildings.

John