[Greenbuilding] Stale Air

John Bone johnbone at gateshead.plus.com
Thu Dec 16 09:00:50 CST 2010

Hi,
Over here in the UK we require (state and non-state) Schools to ventilate
classrooms to keep the CO levels below 1500 ppm to keep pupils alert and
healthy. The English and Welsh and Scotish Buildoing Regualtions enforce
this on all new buildings. The Victorians over 100 years ago felt that
high ventilation rates were essential in schools and other public
buildings.

The UK's building Regualtions have on the other hand recently required
ever tighter buildings in terms of cnstructional "air-leakage" but also
required good and controllable ventilation systems. Usually passive i.e.
non-mechanical, the Uk has even drafted a ban on the use of only
mechanical air-conditioning for new buildings. The EU (European Union) has
also issued european laws on minimum efficientcy for mech ventilation.

http://www.silentshadow.org/

John Bone, MBEng, BSc Hons, ICIOB
Buidling Compliance Consultant