[Greenbuilding] heating values of different species of wood

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 11:19:45 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Sacie Lambertson <
sacie.lambertson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reuben, this is a wonderfully interest table, particularly so at this time
> of the year when we are burning wood.
>
> The heat value of particular species bears out our observation that the
> Osage Orange we prefer to burn produces among the highest heat among the
> woods.  Interesting that Pinion Pine which doesn't grow in Kansas, burns the
> hottest of all.

I noticed that Douglas fir (a softwood to be sure) is here reported to have
a higher heat content than white oak, which seemed absurd. Fir may burn hot,
but in my understanding this does not mean that you'll get more BTUs per
pound...

> What is the difference between heat value and recoverable heat value?

I wondered that too. Then I saw this note at the bottom:
"Recoverable heat values are calculated with a stove efficiency of
approximately 65%."

> Wonder why the values of some species aren't included in the table
> (probably not measured?)

Here's another version (the main difference being that the* BTUs per
cord *column
here is = to the *recoverable BTUs *column in the first chart I linked to):
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/heating_value_wood