[Greenbuilding] Wood by the pound.

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Mon Dec 27 07:15:11 CST 2010

I live in a 7500 HDD climate.

In my well insulated (R-40 walls, and ceiling), appropriately shaped (24
x 36 - 2 story, plus basement) house, I used 1.5 cords last year.

For buildings I have audited, the number runs from 2.0 to 8.0 cords for
full heating.  I suppose given enough enthusiasm from the group I could
be convinced to go back and review all my old audits and get a more
accurate number.  Generally though, I don't recall any particular bias
based on wood heating.  That is, wood heats the same way that oil, or
gas heats, so calculating heat loss is sufficient without adding the
complication of worrying about fuel type.

All that includes the caveat that people are very unsure about how much
wood they burn.  Accuracy to a cord is about all I can hope for.  That
is equivalent to accuracy within 150 gallons of oil.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

p.s. I keep thinking that I should get a hanging scale, and weigh every
load of load I bring up to burn, and track it over the years. Alas, I
have not yet done so.  That would be the way to get accurate results
(and bringing this discussion full circle).

--
Topher Belknap
Green Fret Consulting
topher at greenfret.com