[Greenbuilding] Wood by the pound.

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Mon Dec 27 08:41:36 CST 2010

On 12/27/2010 9:27 AM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:
> When it's icy out, the wind is blowing and you haven't convinced
> yourself of the best system to order your wood (whether to take it from
> this stack or that, leaving the wood under cover until later when it
> snows etc) measuring sometimes takes a back seat.

I have a 12' section of basement wall (8 feet tall), which therefore
takes a full cord at 16" long.  I put marks on the wall to indicate 1/4
cord levels.  Two such stacks and I am good for the winter.

At least in theory...  Usually though I haven't gotten it filled by the
time I want to start burning, so I burn from outside piles until then.

A cord is a lousy measurement for fuel wood.  It doesn't take into
account species (which as we have seen varies a lot in heat output).  It
also neglects moisture content (though admittedly not as badly as
measuring by weight, which gets less accurate the more wet the wood is).
  It depends on stacking style, and whether it is split or not.  And
only works reasonably when the length of stick is evenly divisible into
4 feet.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--