[Greenbuilding] Wood by the pound

Kathy Cochran kathys_old_house at goldrush.com
Mon Dec 27 15:19:12 CST 2010

A cord being 4' deep, 4' high and 8' long only works if you are making 3
rows of 16" lengths (3 x 16" = 48").  My stove, a Morso 3610, can take up to
a 24" log, but 22 is easier to get into the stove, so I  instructed my wood
cutter to cut them 22" long.  So I did a calculation, that says: a cord is
128 cu. Feet.  In cubic inches that = 221,184.  So, if I have 2 rows of 22"
logs, that changes the dimensions of my stack a little bit. So, if I divide
221,184 by 44" (2 rows of 22" logs) by 48" I get 104.73" which is about 8.75
feet long, to get a full cord.    Or, it could be 8 ft long and 52.36" tall.
Of course the guy cutting my wood didn't get the math part of this at all.

Cheers!  Kathy