[Greenbuilding] wood split or not, make a difference?

Kathy Cochran kathys_old_house at goldrush.com
Tue Dec 28 12:52:55 CST 2010

I second that.  If I don't get my thermometer up to about 550-650, then it
takes forever to heat the place up.  Also, I put in a chimney damper, as
well as the built-in one on the stove.  That seems to keep a lot more heat
inside the stove.  I felt I had to do that because the building department
insisted on me installing an outside air gap.  In retrospect, I probably
could have talked them out of it, because since my 1939 house is not
"air-tight" I probably didn't really need it.   With that chimney damper I
have no problem in getting the temperature up to 600 degrees, then I can
damp down the bottom damper and keep it burning for a long time.  I was
having really "short-lived" fires before the chimney damper was installed.

Kathy Cochran