[Greenbuilding] wood split or not, make a difference?

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Tue Dec 28 14:25:46 CST 2010

On 12/28/2010 12:47 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Corwyn <corwyn at midcoast.com
> <mailto:corwyn at midcoast.com>> wrote:
>
>     Burn temperatures don't _directly_ affect heat output.
>
> Interesting. It seems I have once again loaned out my copy of the
> Encyclopedia of Wood Heat--I think that is the title--so I can't look
> this up.However I know, even without the book on hand, that if I keep my
> fire at a temperature that registers 600F in the flue, I get a lot more
> heat per stick of wood than if I keep my fire at 400F in the flue as I
> used to think I should. I did once calculate how much 'a lot more'
> translated to, but can't look that up just now.

And I probably should have been more explicit about what I meant by
'directly'.  Any temperature where you are getting complete combustion,
is extracting the maximum amount of heat energy from the chemical energy
of the cellulose in the wood.

This was in response to the idea that some woods burn hotter than others.

What temperature works best in _your_ wood stove is another matter.
Also some temperatures burn stuff other than cellulose.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap