[Greenbuilding] Concrete Fertilizer Staining

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 7 14:01:28 CST 2010

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 17:16:52 -0400, McDonald, David Joseph
<davidmcdonald at neo.tamu.edu> wrote:

> I am doing some experimenting with fertilizer staining

Well, my guess is that this "fertiliser" could be either ferrous sulphate
(or ferrous nitrate) or cow or pig poo ... all of which would stain
concrete.

And I think that with all of the above materials, it'd be best to apply to
the concrete before it is dry (ie ASAP after finish trowelling.)

If I were doing it, I'd lay down some salvaged polyethylene sheet (taking
some care to seal the seams)  ASAP after the above step and then put down
some scrap sheet goods (plywood or OSB or even drywall cut-offs) to
protect both the poly and the green concrete) and leave moisture/impact
barrier down for at least 3 weeks (a month or more would be preferable) so
that the cement will have access to the moisture necessary for full
hydration over the curing period.

No scuff marks and dirt to clean up, better quality concrete (provided
that the concrete was placed and finished properly as well.)

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom