[Greenbuilding] Reducing mold

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Sun Nov 7 18:49:08 CST 2010

  Sacie,

There are some newer proprietary mildicides used in commercial
remediation after flooding or other major water/mold damage.
  I haven't tried any of them and they are probably hard to get,
especially on single residential scale.

On most surfaces (substrates), chlorine bleach solution is unnecessary
overkill; toxic for the environment and, in many of the "easy"
applications, toxic to the user.  It will not penetrate into any porous
substrate to "kill" more than the surface bloom.

A  rag or sponge, dampened - not wet - with a solution of warm water and
any mild surfactant (dish washing detergent works well).  Only enough
surfactant to break the surface tension of the water - no suds needed.

Wipe from the top down, clearing away the surface bloom, then wring in
the bucket or basin, leaving the mold in the water.
Dry as rapidly as possible - by blowing (room temperature or sightly
warmer) air across the surface (heat will drive the moisture deeper into
the material and slow real drying.  Instead, hot air or radiant heat can
create an illusory surface drying.

No panaceas that I know of.  Most of the things toxic to mold are also
toxic to us - and other living critters.

Bob Klahn