[Greenbuilding] Fwd: pool heating

Gi Broucke gbroucke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 07:23:23 CST 2010

 Hi

Mea culpa, I know pools and pool heating are not the most sustainable of
resource uses, but living in Harare, Zimbabwe, with its challenges... and
renting a house that happens to have a pool, I intend to enjoy it for most
of the year, and right now I miss out on 3-4 months.

I had considered a roof collector for the pool but it's too expensive so I
want to try a cheap solution. An insulating pool cover is an option - I am
looking to find one here. But I thought of attaching a polyethylene pipe of
100m or so to my pump outlet and allow it to float on top of the pool in a
spiral - with a weight attached to the outlet.

Can anyone tell me if I am likely to gain the 5°C or so that I would target?

In September-October and May-June temperatures here are around 13° (night)
and 26° (day) with at least 8 hours sunlight. The pool is in full sun from
about 9am and gets to 18-20°. If we have power I run the circulation pump
from 10-13h. 100m of a 3cm diameter pipe would have a surface of around 3
sqm. How do I assess how much this can heat a 35000 litre pool?

Thanks
Gi