[Greenbuilding] pool heating

stephen at thermotechfiberglass.com stephen at thermotechfiberglass.com
Mon Nov 8 19:13:50 CST 2010

About 20+ years ago i worked for a maker of solar pool heaters.

Effective pool heating needs a few of things

CONSERVATION
Any thermal blanket is way more cost effective than any heater - solar or
otherwise.

AREA
We used to suggest 50% of the pool surface area in unshaded south facing
collectors - even more if not south facing....

FLOW
Any thermal collector is more efficient (loses less heat to the air) the
cooler it runs. This is ESPECIALLY true of the unglazed panels used for
pool heating.
If you are going to eschew a commerical solution, don't use a single coil
of tubing. Use multiple coils in parallel. Otherwise your home made
collectors will dribble impressively warm water at a rate that will never
heat the pool.
I would not put the coils on top of the pool - this stealing passive solar
heat from the pool. Put the coils on a roof.

Commercial pool heating systems are typically very cost effective - even
when compared to natural gas heaters.

good luck
ST

PS
I always wondered how Costco undercut dealers by so much, now i know.....