[Greenbuilding] Insulation Problems

J Messerschmidt John at fourpointscg.com
Wed Nov 10 09:05:01 CST 2010

John,
Thanks to your excellent  feedback and others, I can be more specific and
narrow down the solutions.  The Dow insulation is the blue board.  The
liquid coating is yellow and I don't know what that is.  The insulation,
stated as r-10 is not continuous as it is cut every 24" by the continuous z
bars running horizontally across the all the exterior walls. Yes, there are
small gaps wherever the foam board butts up against the z bar, and where
wherever there are seams.  The foam board is attached to the sheathing with
nails and huge washers.  The bronze would be attached to the z bars.
Apparently, a drainage plane was not intentionally planned when they
designed it, but vapor and bulk moisture can eventually find its way
out, -and not in- to the wall assembly.  Not the ideal scenario, but nothing
to worry about.  What I'm getting here is that the r-10 is in reality an r-0
or something close to that.

For the interior, I understand that the open cell could give us a whole wall
r-value of about 15 and the 1" eps could add another 4 without fear of
moisture being trapped, and not counting any windows.  The main benefit here
would be to stop air infiltration inside the wall cavity.

Would this statement be accurate?

We are adding HRV and the A/C will most likely be on during the summer,
barring any vacations etc.  Oh yeah, it's not in Queens, it's actually
Brooklyn.  Being a snobby Manhattanite, I've never felt it necessary to
cross the East River, so it's like a foreign country to me.  Thank God they
speak English.

John