[Greenbuilding] Insulation Problems

J Messerschmidt John at fourpointscg.com
Thu Nov 11 10:02:22 CST 2010

Hi Thomas,
I love the suggestion of taping the seams and taping the board to z bars.  With the air leakage to the outside eliminated that would bring us a lot closer to the r-10, and it would be a proper drainage plane.  My concerns are, what kind of tape and how does water escape if it does get in?  2" of xps has permeance of .55.  Will that allow vapor  to escape? What about bulk moisture?  Behind the xps is a liquid applied membrane that probably has a very low permeance, so it has to dry to the outside.

Lastly, looking at the interior wall assembly, if the open cell foam has a perm rating of 8, and 1" of polyiso has a perm of 2.33, this could be a well insulated wall and will still dry to the inside.  Right?  Unless I'm missing something, we'd end up with about an R30 wall.  I'd be very happy with that.  What do you think?

Thanks!

John