[Greenbuilding] moveable insulation

Doug Kalmer sunart at netease.net
Tue Nov 16 08:27:13 CST 2010

 Condensation can be a problem, but there are a few solutions. My homemade shades actually do seal well at the sides, but not at the top and bottom, so there is a considerable amount of condensation on cold nights. This does show that the moveable insulation is doing it's job, and not allowing a lot of heat from the house to keep the window warm. I use cellular or honeycomb shades on my upper windows, and they seal well at the top and bottom, but not the sides. Both types of shade allow the same amount of condensation. Getting an airtight seal on easily moved window insulation is difficult, so we are stuck dealing with the natural result, condensation. Painting or otherwise sealing the sills prevents damage. I have taken to placing a small gutter of the "V" type weather-stripping at the bottom of the inner surface of the window to catch the condensate and allow it to evaporate later. My home in humid southern central TN has higher than desired humidity often, as we do a lot of canning, cooking and baking, and have a bunch of houseplants. Keeping humidity levels down reduces condensation. I would rather search for solutions to minor problems than throw the baby out with the bathwater. Doug

www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SolarHomes/Doug/DougsProjects.htm

http://www.youtube.com/user/sundug69