[Greenbuilding] moveable insulation

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Nov 17 15:51:58 CST 2010

A bad window will always noticeably have improved comfort with just a piece
> of cardboard but that is not an Rvalue test it is a comfort test.
> Tests of insulating shades that I have seen rarely show a major Rvalue
> improvement but even drapes pass the comfort test as Doug attests too.

...which raises a question: is comfort a (partial) function of radiant heat
loss to

1. surfaces of lower temperature--in this case the cardboard, newspaper,
bubble wrap or shade--vs a single pane of glass at near ambient temp.
2. a radiant-transparent/transluscent membrane, with cold surfaces/cold
space beyond
3. or both?

In other words, is comfort completely attributable to measurable thermal
conductance, or is some quotient that is not attributable to assembly
R-values?