[Greenbuilding] Comfort and shutters

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Fri Nov 19 10:03:46 CST 2010

*... it looks like we only have to raise the unshuttered room air temp*
*from **70 to 70.043 F to make the rooms equally comfortable, unless you*
*are sitting right next to a window.*
**
*Passiv Haus fascists seem to overemphasize the effect of mean radiant*
*temps on comfort**.*
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

as he duly qualifies, Nick's calcs assume that the uniformly clad and no
doubt spherical human specimen is in the exact center of the room, losing
heat uniformly over his or her body to a single small window--and is not a
middle ager with a growing bald spot, quietly reading in his Poang between
by the two 7'x7' patio doors of his condo living room.

with regard to PH fascism--if we are to take John Straub's naked man
specification at its face (errr, full frontal?) value--we may not need to go
all the way to U-0.14...

Nevertheless, the point I am struggling to make is, that in terms of
comfort, there is something significant going on here--in *addition* to mean
radiant temperature.

AA