[Greenbuilding] insulation vs. air sealing

David dpwentling at ymail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:24:12 CDT 2010

Ran weatherization program in Baltimore back in the '80s with sealed flat roofs. They cut holes in roof to spray insulation and seal holes with venting caps. Test before and after normalized energy bills and blower door. Results were 15% higher energy usage with 10% greater leakage. These were low income homes being assisted with federal funds. Revised program to cut hole in roof, send in crew to seal top plates and ballon frame chaseways, dense pack low area where could not reach to airseal. Blew R-40 over all other areas then applied sheet metal over the hole before we installed their standard vent cap. Results were 20% energy reduction and 15% airleakage for additional $150 per house installation cost. Other airseal measures were later added to increase savings.

Bottom line, seal top before insulation and no need to ventilate. Ventilation is to remove the moisture from the exfiltration air which was eliminated.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone