[Greenbuilding] insulation vs. air sealing

Futureship futureship0000 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 18:00:31 CDT 2010

Hello David,

Interesting results ... I am currently  doing Weatherization work. Air sealing
In attic top plate, plumbing and electrical penetrations, electrical ceiling
Fixtures and any openings in ceiling
Is required before blowing insulation.

I have a question with regard to
Your results:

In the first case you described that "Results were 15% higher energy usage with 10% greater leakage."

How does a blower door measurement
Tell you 10% greater leakage? The
Blower door measures holes in
The building envelope . Assuming no
Air sealing was done the blower door
Would not measure a 10% greater leakage. I would argue the increase in stack effect In this case caused an increase in pressure thru the same holes therefore causing more airflow thru the same holes.

I ask again how do you measure that
Increase in pressure thru the same holes?  I am missing a way to measure this increase in stack effect pressure With a blower door measurement? Maybe I just answered
My own question?