[Greenbuilding] mini split? Always?

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 11:37:43 CDT 2010

Climate?
The huge problem with mini-splits is there lack of distribution. How to spread the heat and cool around without causing discomfort in far corners of buildings.
Second issue is capacity: most are limited to 24-36K.
Systems with air handlers and higher capacity are available but their cost tends to skyrocket and the performance drops a lot.
If many cases, a standard US brand air source heat pump is not a bad choice: a Carrier, Goodman or Trane SEER16 heat pump with an ECM air handler can be a great swap out for electric furnaces in homes with modest heating demand in climates without many hours below around 10 F.