[Greenbuilding] wall envelope - rainscreen

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 15 08:55:54 CDT 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 08:52:40 -0400, Alan Abrams
<alan at abramsdesignbuild.com> wrote:

> would the roxul in this case be rigid
> enough to scrunch down furring strips against its surface, and stay like
> that for a while, to support horizontal siding?
>
> this of course presumes the ban against furring over exoinsulation does
> not have a lot of merit.

Huh ? "Scrunch" ? Vass iss dis "scrunch" ? Don't know "scrunch". (Sounds
like a sugary kiddies breakfast cereal)

And "ban against furring over outsulation" ? I didn't know there was a ban.

But taking a stab into the dark...

Would the word "Z-channels" be of any use here ?

(They are often used here in MooseLand with the semi-rigid mineral wool
boards to provide attachments for siding.)

WRT the ban on furring strips:

What is the intent of the ban ? Does it have to do with concerns about
creating leetle chimneys for fire that would schwoop up and make short
work of foamed plast-eccchh! outsulation and then result in the whole
exterior falling off in a spectacular flaming mess ?  (I just made that up
but it sounds pretty good. Eh ?)

If so, the ban may not apply to Roxul since it doesn't burn and the use of
Z-channels would make the point moot anyway since there would be no air
gap.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom