[Greenbuilding] Light Clay Walls

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Tue Oct 19 23:25:19 CDT 2010

Hi, Chris--

I haven't tried the slip form, but the lath is double duty--it acts as a form to keep the light clay mix in place while it dries and then as a supporting substrate for the clay plaster. It might work to apply the plaster directly to the dry light clay but am not sure, haven't actually tried that.

Our code also has a 1 perm vapor retarder, but this is a non-permitted building--in Portland, anything 200 SF or less does not need a permit. Great for small experiments!

Our code guys are usually accepting of high mass walls without VRs, as they have learned more building science and understand how they work.

I'll post a couple more photos of such a house tomorrow.

Best,

Mike