[Greenbuilding] Light Clay Walls

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 20 10:30:15 CDT 2010

It can be accepted in bc under section 5 of the code. "is not required where
it can be shown that uncontrolled vapour diffusion will not adversely affect
any of ...'health,use,operation'"

As this does not form part of section 9 a building inspector would normally
and reasonably require some LOA (letter of assurance)to hang their hat on -
in the form of a schedule D form (building envelope design review and field
review) which specifically limits the work to a registered architect or
engineer with a practice/experience or education focused in that work.

Air barriers are also defined in section 5 as a leakage rate not greater
than basically a sheet of drywall with the option of increasing that rate
(if it doesn't adversely affect....)

Now the CVRD has allowed this type of wall/building locally and others have
been built legally. Kris Dick eng. of building alternatives inc. I think has
been the lead eng. for these projects but there may be other professionals
around.

Mike, is the claymix being relied upon for lateral bracing as well?

Best
john

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca