[Greenbuilding] Laundry day on the GB List

nick pine nick at early.com
Sat Oct 23 08:10:12 CDT 2010

>Suppose we put the 5 groups of containers above into a well-insulated tube A and make another
tube B just like A, and connect the dryer exhaust to one end of tube A, and the output of A
into tube B and the output of B to the dryer inlet. On the next load, we swap A and B...

>Like this:
                                         --------------------------
 ---------------->------|---------X---<>| 120  110  100   90   80  |<>---
|           | output         |           --------------------------      |
|           |                |                       A                   |
|   dryer   |                |                                           |
|           |                |                       B                   |

>At an average 100 F in a 4'x7'x7'-tall box with 210 ft^2 of R40 walls and a 5.25 Btu/h-F
conductance, the tubes might lose 24h(100-70)5.25 = 3780 Btu/day.

If the box is in a 70 F sunspace in Phila in December with R2 sunspace glazing with
81% solar transmission and 1 ft^2 of R1 box glazing with 90% solar transmission
gains 0.9x0.81x1000-6h(100-70)/R1 = 549 Btu/day, we can solar heat it with
3780/549 = 6.9 ft^2 of passive solar air heater glazing.

Nick