[Greenbuilding] Laundry day on the GB List

Benjamin Pratt benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 08:58:09 CDT 2010

I believe condensing dryers are electric, while RTs device would allow a gas
dryer to exhaust to the indoors. However, I am not sure about the safety of
doing so. Obviously a gas furnace or water heater exhausts to the outdoors
to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. A gas range, however, does not.
   I need a picture of RT's device to understand it. (Can one purchase such
a device?)  My idea was to harvest some of the heat from the exhaust duct by
making or buying a finned duct and using a fan to cool it. This would only
collect a fraction of the escaping heat, but it would not allow carbon
monoxide to enter the indoor air--if that is something to worry about.

Also, I still have the question of whether an electric condensing dryer
would save money over a gas conventional dryer. Anyone have an answer?
Ben