[Greenbuilding] Laundry day on the GB List

jfstraube jfstraube at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 09:45:21 CDT 2010

If you have an airtight house (and you should if you care about the energy in the exhaust stream of a clothes drier) then dumping the moisture into the indoors has a high risk of causing moisture damage.  We and others have definitely have seen this moisture source cause problems.
Exhausting a gas range to the interior is a risk, again, if you have an airtight house.  A drier tends to have a larger burner that runs for long chunks of time on full output.  I do not know the relative CO output of a range vs drier, but I fear for the IAQ if the drier vents indoors.

Does the electric condensing drier save $?  Depends on your relative electric rates.  A Heat Pump condensing drier does use less than 1/3 as much electric energy than does a good gas drier, and so if the energy cost of electric is less than 3 times that of gas (and it usually is around that) then yes.  But there are places where electricity is quite expensive relative to gas (some places in New York State come to mind) and other places (like Portland) where electricity is cheap relative to gas.

I know some of the Miele and Bosch 12 lb capacity driers in Europe and Australia use less than 2 kWh/load.  And a normal gas drier exhaust 200 cfm of air, which is not a trivial energy cost in a good home.
I am pretty sure we will eventually move to heat pump condensing driers but it will take some time to penetrate the US/Canada market.