[Greenbuilding] MDF vs Particleboard vs Whatever

Brian Milani bmilani at web.ca
Sat Oct 23 12:02:23 CDT 2010

Hello,

We have some built-in shelving and cabinetry to do in our kitchen--at
both ends of the room but not near the sink or water.
We're having trouble finding green cabinetmakers with time available
soon, so it looks like I will have to be doing it myself.
I'm finally having some luck sourcing materials, but am still unsure as
to what to use.  Everything will be painted white, so the issue seems to
be choosing among plywood, particleboard or MDF.  There seem to be local
suppliers of FSC-certified and NAUF particleboard and MDF, as well as
plywood, but I am unsure of the ideal material.  I've heard pros and
cons on PBD and MDF.  When working as a carpenter last century, I never
liked particleboard much, but I hear there are many good grades of it
now.  I used a bit of MDF (Medite II) back then, just as it was coming
into the mainstream.  The latter seemed awfully heavy, though, and one
green cabinetmaker said he doesn't use it for that reason.

Any suggestions?   If anyone has suggestions about inexpensive but
ecological countertop material too, that would be appreciated.
Paperstone, Icestone, etc. look good but seem very pricey.
Thanks in advance.

                         yours,
                         Brian M., Toronto

--