[Greenbuilding] FINISHES for MDF vs Particleboard vs Whatever

Melissa Andron melissa at realmdesignstudio.com
Mon Oct 25 05:38:19 CDT 2010

Alan, what are you (and others) using to finish/seal these wood countertops?
What have you had successes with?  Failures?

I realize that a client's priorities dictate what we're able to use-a client
with chemical sensitivities may require a very different finish (or even
material) than a client who does not have this issue and prioritizes
longevity over all else.  There was a time in my life where the former was a
requirement for ME based on my health, but now, after many years, I'm in
much better health-and would be more likely to choose something that might
offgas a bit (and preferably allow it to do this in my garage/workshop for
some time!) but would last indefinitely (just as sustainable an option, in
my book, if it doesn't have to be replaced for a much longer time).

Thanks!

Melissa (Andron) Walter, LEED AP, GreenAP, Allied Member ASID

realm design studio, inc.

sustainable interior design

919.649.2384

www.realmdesignstudio.com

or see us on Facebook!
<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1167158862#!/pages/Chapel-Hill-NC/Re
alm-Design-Studio/59661343019?ref=ts&__a=15&ajaxpipe=1>

member: Green
<http://www.hbadoc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemi
d=57>  Homebuilders of the Triangle