[Greenbuilding] FINISHES for MDF vs Particleboard vs Whatever

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Mon Oct 25 13:23:55 CDT 2010

Good post, John.

Pure Tung Oil is our #1 finish for butcher blocks b/c it¹s durable and safe
and easy to refinish. Reasonably easy to use but can get tricky among those
with more thumbs than fingers.  We also recommend AFM Naturals Oil Wax
finish, which is a combo of tung, linseed, safflower, sunflower, carnauba,
microcrystalline wax, soybean oil, and hemp oil. Very easy to apply. This is
popular with our cork and bamboo tops.

We find most people don¹t like linseed¹s odor so avoid linseed oil.

I also find it critical to set people-folk¹s expectations of different
materials‹especially butcher blocks. We make a point to explain that you put
a wood counter in specifically with the expectation that it¹ll dry out and
need refinishing (moisturizing), which also lends to repairability‹rare
among tops‹and the warm, soft, natural looks.

Jason Holstine

Amicus Green Building Center
³Sustain Your Space²
Member - USGBC, GreenAmerica, NARI, NAHB
e: jason at amicusgreen.com
w: www.amicusgreen.com
p: 301-571-8590
tf: 866-587-9140