[Greenbuilding] Q: Average thermal mass for furnishings?

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 25 16:17:02 CDT 2010

Aside from quantifying an average north Americans possessions (which would
be depressing) the only real data out there is what is used to determine
live loading requirements. The uniform allowed live loads are 30-50 psf of
occupied floor area (depending on area). This amount includes both sustained
and transient - the mean sustained load (furnishings and normal occupancy)
was determined as about 6 psf (4-8) or about 9000 lbs for a 1500 sq ft
house. That is the number I have used before based on the reference below.

More specific information might be give in the reference which is
A Probabilistic Determination of Design Live Loads for Buildings,
by Philip L. Chalk, 1979

Density of hard and soft furnishings will be somewhere between 5-40 lbft3
and humans are 60 something (just below water) so I don't know what you
might want to run as an average given the type of home

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca