[Greenbuilding] ventilating a tiny shop space

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 26 20:57:04 CDT 2010

I agree with Rob - you need air. General rule for a shop is minimum 4 air
changes per hour. Since you have a new vent system with an hrv for the house
it is probably balanced at around .3 - .5 air changes per hour. So if you
just vent the shop it will suck air from the house and create some negative
pressure and unbalance the ventilation.

Best thing is to isolate the shop from the house and put in an exhaust fan -
given the room size you need minimum 60-70 cfm (but go for one you can crank
up higher - old range hood or something that can get up to 300cfm). Make
sure the exhaust is not under a house window or even close or close to a
neighbours window.

Need to punch a big hole for makeup air - minimum 8" would be my suggestion
- perhaps between floor joists - you can even duct it to where you will be
standing/working to get the most benefit.

Wear a sweater and make sure to exhaust well before cracking the door to the
home.

Shops are nasty - dilute dilute dilute.

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7

PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541

terrain at shaw.ca

  _____