[Greenbuilding] rooftop or apartment gardening

sanjay jain sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 08:10:36 CDT 2011

The composting toilet group had a post about growing rice back in 2008:

Dear All

Have been working on a source separating compost toilet for some years and have

used one.

This is an Indian style squatting pan which separates urine and faeces and wash

water.

The urine I have used to cultivate rice on the roof . The yield has been good

and is roughly 1.2 kgs per square metre

The faeces gets composted and is used in the garden down below in the backyard.

The water for the rice cultivation comes from treated grey water and a bit of

rainwater whenever it rains

On my rooftop of 60 square metres I can grow three crops and get about 200 kgs

of rice.

The phosphate in the detergent seems to be a good nutrient and the urine gives

enough N,P AND K plus micro nutrients

Here is a youtube movie on this

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie"

value="http://www.youtube.com/v/88gb3QWA7i0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode"

value="transparent"></param><embed

src="http://www.youtube.com/v/88gb3QWA7i0&hl=en"

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425"

height="355"></embed></object>

regards

Vishwanath, www.rainwaterclub.org