[Greenbuilding] rooftop or apartment gardening

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 11 14:51:38 CDT 2011

I've had to look at humidity issues for indoor pools, indoor gardens, living
walls -  and it is a really difficult issue to deal with.  Plants
(especially food plants) need moisture and they transpire so you have two
choices. One is to maintain a moist environment to reduce transpiration
rates or to water heavily and ventilate heavily. So the growing environment
needs to be made of materials that can handle moisture and has some
antifungal properties - our living environments (including soft furnishings,
clothing, etc.) are not made of these materials so there is a big conflict.
Our health is also compromised by excessive humidity.

So, ideally you isolate the growing environment from the living environment
and accomplishing that in an urban environment (without greenspace,
roofspace or deckspace) is difficult.  Food production also requires a lot
of human energy that I have found people have a hard time maintaining.

I like collective gardening approaches where some local greenspace or
roofspace is shared in some way. In my community I have found people that
are much better at growing things than I am so I support them.

That said - I like window boxes - miniature greenhouses that hang out (or
in) and replace an existing window.  A 3x4 window using the square foot
gardening approach on two layers can have about 60 foodplants in production.
Easy to isolate and can be heated with ventilation exhaust and could even be
vented to a HWHP.

John