[Greenbuilding] best lumber for raised vegetable beds

Lawrence Lile LLile at projsolco.com
Thu Apr 14 15:15:07 CDT 2011

Do you mean Cedar, as in Eastern Red Cedar, the common Midwest Weed tree which will sprout up in any abandoned field?  I was wondering how that stuff lasts in earth contact.  I have the same problem, needing to build garden beds, and I also have a lot of cedar trees that need thinning.  Although they provide cover for wildlife, they provide little else, and they shade out any native plants underneath, making a cedar monoculture. A few of them are a good thing, but a grove of them is not what I would call a healthy woods, and I have a grove.  Used the four biggest ones as beams in my house.

I wonder if Cedar will split into rails well?

--Lawrence Lile,