[Greenbuilding] best lumber for raised vegetable beds

William R Bloom wbloom at unm.edu
Thu Apr 14 10:21:48 CDT 2011

I have used cedar before, its good.  It was readily
available in the midwest.  Here in New Mexico, you find
primarily redwood at the home stores, considerably more
expensive.  I have used regular dimensional lumber before.
 Here the home stores stock douglas fir or even better,
hemlock fir lumber.  I would consider those grades if you
can get them over spruce-pine-fir (spf).  Southern yellow
pine, a favorite of the treatment industry, is stout wood
and resists the harsh pressure chemical treatment process,
but I have found unless you have the lumber restrained, it
ends up resembling a pigs tail after it seasons.