[Greenbuilding] Foundation weatherproofing

Corrinne Harol charol at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 15 15:02:31 CDT 2011

Hi All,

I've got a 1949 bungalow in Edmonton, Alberta that has a wet basement. The
standard fix involves weeping tiles, a sump pump, crack repair,
waterproofing the foundation from the outside, a vapor barrier. They also,
install insulation board which is rigid, grooved on the house side, smooth
on the soil side, and which adds R-9.6 insulation value. So my question is
whether the list has another better suggestions about either insulation or
water management in this climate. Apparently Edmonton foundations are
notoriously wet and fail often, and my neighborhood in particular has
problems as it is the site of an ancient glacier lake, and water remembers.
Any thoughts at all would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Corrinne