[Greenbuilding] geopolymer or alkali activated cements

Ocean Swells swell at labranch.com
Sun Apr 17 18:53:08 CDT 2011

DJ,

Thanks for that article.  I had stumbled upon it before but did not
read it.  After your encouragement I read it and am glad I did.  Like
I said, I'm no chemist, but, one difference I see between what
Davidovits (Geopolymer Institute) did, and the roman cement in this
article, is that Davidovits mixed sodium carbonate (washing soda) with
the hydrated lime.  I believe this produces Lye (sodium hydroxide) +
calcium carbonate, which mixed with kaolin clay, or pozzolan produces
water glass (sodium silicate).  I wish someone could confirm this.
(The list has been talking about sodium silicate as a wood preserver.)
 I think sodium silicate is key to geopolymers.

Davidovits also compacted (rammed earth) his concoction.  However, he
originally completely saturated the mix with water and let it dry over
a week until it had zero slump.  Then he compacted it.  I don't know
if there would be difference to that method over the method of just
lightly hydrating a mix.

Anyway!  Let the experimentation begin!  I currently have some
hydrated lime and sodium carbonate.  I'm going to have to get my hands
on some of the volcanic ash.  I also want to try some red dirt
(oxisol) and crushed volcanic cinder.

Jason