[Greenbuilding] No Fracking Way?

Frank Cetera alchemicalfranklen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:15:25 CDT 2011

I'd be interested in hearing folks' opinions and strategies surrounding the
following goal:

Implementing an urban home retrofit using only electrical powered systems,
with the potential of becoming an off-grid site in the future through
reduced energy consumption and on-site generation (with purchase of
alternative sources in the short-term), in order to relieve our dependance
on natural gas as a fuel source due to its potential for high environmental
damage.  (This would not be a super-insulated passivhaus sort of design and
would rely on natural materials as much as possible for air sealing,
insulation, and built additions/restorations)

Short and long term considerations for energy management and use on site?
Favored heating, cooking, and water heating in such a scenario?
Other thoughts?  (i.e. convince me not to do this?)

Thank you ~Frank