[Greenbuilding] No Fracking Way?

Matt Dirksen dirksengreen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:22:14 CDT 2011

My family and I feel the same way. My long term goal is to use "natural" gas
only for the outside grill, give or take a camping stove or two. We love our
induction range, the HP hot water heater has already saved us a bundle (over
the old gas heater). Next target: kick the furnace out. As far as I can
tell, EIA's rosy projections on our natural gas reserves is primarily based
on the assumption that we will simply frack our way to a bunch of it.
(Here's the link to the ongoing EPA study which will take years to
complete:
http://water.epa.gov/type/groundwater/uic/class2/hydraulicfracturing/index.cfm.
Of course, they had to subpoena Halliburton for their data.)

In the meantime... It's really sad to think the EIA has come out with
projections based on extraction techniques which are, at a minimum,
highly controversial. Just watch the natural gas prices soar when all the
dust settles.

Matt