[Greenbuilding] No Fracking Way?

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Thu Apr 21 00:40:27 CDT 2011

This all looks pretty good and, clearly you will always be in front with minimal use and well-timed manual switch control, if only because the element works best when the water is coldest. the most common reason for using timers is that approximately 99.99% of consumers prefer it that way.

Another reason is that automated temperature control minimises health risks. You don't talk about your operating water temperature. If you are heating the water only once a week it may be OK for a shower at say 40 degrees, but water tanks are usually set at a minimum of 60 to kill off any legionnaires bacteria. Your typical shower temperature is the ideal growth temperature for legionnaires, and it is often illegal to install heater with the thermostat set below 60.

What you don't talk about is your tariff programme either. Maybe you don't have one and the power costs the same 24/7. But, if you do, you are likely to save a lot more by coordinating your switching with it. This may mean curling up beside thne HWS with a good book and waiting for the magic hour.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW