[Greenbuilding] No Fracking Way?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 00:51:20 CDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Nick Pyner <npyner at tig.com.au> wrote:

>  ...the most common reason for using timers is that approximately 99.99%
> of consumers prefer it that way.

Really? And you know this how.....? Is your set equal to all consumers who
have timers on their water heaters, or all consumers with tank water
heaters?
It is perhaps instructive to remember the widespread resistance to the
introduction of auto defrost refrigerators. Consumer Reports resisted them
all the way up through 1974, a full generation after their introduction. Of
course soon after they stopped testing anything that wasn't auto defrost...
I would be wary of making too big a generalization about the particulars of
how folks prefer to interact with their domestic technologies, and to
remember the ways in which we have all been socialized to think of certain
arrangements as normal and others as not, and how these norms have changed
over time.

Reuben Deumling