[Greenbuilding] 2000 miles on a scooter to get to the green building conference

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 29 20:58:22 CDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:23:48 -0400, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Even scooters aren't what they used to be. I thought 50cc was the scooter
> class. What is your anticipated fuel consumption for the trip?
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM, RE-USE Consulting
> <go2nacho at comcast.net>wrote:
>
>> ... 2000 miles... on a 250cc scooter!

Back when I was a 15 yr-old keed, I had a 250cc Yamaha (yes, I drove it
without a license) and it was definitely in the motorCYCLE class.

It'd let out a loud wah-o-o-oOOOWWWRRR! as it screamed up to speeds
that were fast enough to make even invulnerable-minded teenaged boys hang
on for dear life.

My older brothers had a Harley-Davidson "Topper" and a Piatti scooters
before they moved "up" to motorcycles (BSA "Lightning" and a Kawasaki
something-or-other) and even though they were well over 50cc (Topper @ 165
cc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Topper and the Piatti @
125cc  http://www.piattiscooter.com/history.htm ) they were more like a
modern-day electric-assist bicycle than they were the 250cc Yamaha.

... point being that going by engine size might not tell one much.

My guess is that a 165 cc 1960's era scooter compared to a 165cc 2011
motorbike, would be like the difference between a 1960's era 250 cu inch
6-cylinder Chevy and a 2011-era 4 litre V-8 BMW ... so a 2011 250 cc
probably wouldn't be a "scooter" ?

But I can definitely say that 2000 miles should be do-able in about 11-12
days on a bicycle.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom